Abbreviations:ATP (antitachycardia pacing), CI (confidence interval), CRT-D (cardiac resynchronization therapy–defibrillator), ICD (implantable cardioverter-defibrillator)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A comparison of antiarrhythmic-drug therapy with implantable defibrillators in patients resuscitated from near-fatal ventricular arrhythmias.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 1576-1583
- Amiodarone or an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator for congestive heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 225-237
- A randomized study of the prevention of sudden death in patients with coronary artery disease.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 1882-1890
- Canadian implantable defibrillator study (CIDS): a randomized trial of the implantable cardioverter defibrillator against amiodarone.Circulation. 2000; 101: 1297-1302
- Prophylactic use of an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator after acute myocardial infarction.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 2481-2488
- Prophylactic defibrillator implantation in patients with nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathy.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 2151-2158
- Randomized comparison of antiarrhythmic drug therapy with implantable defibrillators in patients resuscitated from cardiac arrest: the Cardiac Arrest Study Hamburg (CASH).Circulation. 2000; 102: 748-754
- Improved survival with an implanted defibrillator in patients with coronary disease at high risk for ventricular arrhythmia.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 1933-1940
- Prophylactic implantation of a defibrillator in patients with myocardial infarction and reduced ejection fraction.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 877-883
- The growing mismatch between patient longevity and the service life of implantable cardioverter-defibrillators.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 45: 2022-2025
- Pacemaker and ICD generator malfunctions: analysis of Food and Drug Administration annual reports.JAMA. 2006; 295: 1901-1906
- ACC/AHA/HRS 2008 Guidelines for Device-Based Therapy of Cardiac Rhythm Abnormalities: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the ACC/AHA/NASPE 2002 Guideline Update for Implantation of Cardiac Pacemakers and Antiarrhythmia Devices) developed in collaboration with the American Association for Thoracic Surgery and Society of Thoracic Surgeons.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 51: e1-e62
- Recurrent implantable cardioverter-defibrillator replacement is associated with an increasing risk of pocket-related complications.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2010; 33: 1013-1019
- The frequency and incremental cost of major complications among Medicare beneficiaries receiving implantable cardioverter-defibrillators.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 47: 2493-2497
- Cost-effectiveness of implantable cardioverter-defibrillators.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 1471-1480
- ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 Guidelines for Management of Patients with Ventricular Arrhythmias and the Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines (writing committee to develop Guidelines for Management of Patients With Ventricular Arrhythmias and the Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death): developed in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association and the Heart Rhythm Society.Circulation. 2006; 114: e385-e484
- Analysis of implantable defibrillator longevity under clinical circumstances: implications for device selection.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2009; 32: 1276-1285
- Feasibility and initial results of an Internet-based pacemaker and ICD pulse generator and lead registry.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2001; 24: 82-87
- Longevity of implantable cardioverter-defibrillators, influencing factors, and comparison to industry-projected longevity.Heart Rhythm. 2009; 6: 1737-1743
- Longevity of implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: implications for clinical practice and health care systems.Europace. 2008; 10: 1288-1295
- Variability in implantable cardioverter defibrillator pulse generator longevity between manufacturers.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2003; 26: 71-75
- Risk factors related to infections of implanted pacemakers and cardioverter-defibrillators: results of a large prospective study.Circulation. 2007; 116: 1349-1355
- Risk factors and time delay associated with cardiac device infections: Leiden device registry.Heart. 2009; 95: 715-720
- Pacemakers and implantable cardioverter defibrillators: device longevity is more important than smaller size: the patient's viewpoint.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2004; 27: 1526-1529
This study was funded by the Department of Cardiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands.
Professor Schalij received research grants from Biotronik , Medtronic , and Boston Scientific . Dr van Erven received a research grant from Boston Scientific . Prof. Schalij and Dr Thijssen had full access to the data in the study and take responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis.