Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- 2017 HRS expert consensus statement on cardiovascular implantable electronic device lead management and extraction.Heart Rhythm. 2017; 14: e503-e551
- Venous thrombosis and stenosis after implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2005; 13: 9-19
- Venous complications after insertion of a transvenous pacemaker.Mayo Clin Proc. 1992; 67: 258-265
- The incidence and risk factors for venous obstruction after implantation of transvenous pacing leads.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2002; 25: 1605-1611
- Incidence and risk factors of upper extremity deep vein lesions after permanent transvenous pacemaker implant: a 6-month follow-up prospective study.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2002; 25: 1301-1306
- Superior vena cava occlusion and/or syndrome related to pacemaker leads.Am Heart J. 1993; 125: 831-837
- Pacemaker-induced superior vena cava syndrome: report of four cases and review of literature.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 1989; 12: 1890-1895
- Managing superior vena cava syndrome as a complication of pacemaker implantation: a pooled analysis of clinical practice.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2010; 33: 420-425
- Transvenous lead extraction: Heart Rhythm Society Expert consensus on facilities, training, indications, and patient management.Heart Rhythm. 2009; 6: 1085-1104
- Lead extraction in the contemporary setting: the LExICon study: an observational retrospective study of consecutive laser lead extractions.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 9: 579-586
- Large, single-center, single-operator experience with transvenous lead extraction: outcomes and changing indications.Heart Rhythm. 2008; 5: 520-525
- Safety and efficacy of thrombolytic therapy for superior vena cava syndrome.Chest. 1991; 99: 54-59
- Patency rates for angioplasty in the treatment of pacemaker-induced central venous stenosis in hemodialysis patients: results of a multi-center study.Semin Dial. 2009; 22: 671-676
- Be aware of wires in the veins: a case of superior vena cava syndrome in a patient with a permanent pacemaker.J Community Hosp Intern Med Perspect. 2012; 2
- Leadless pacing in a patient with superior vena cava syndrome undergoing lead extraction and percutaneous angioplasty.J Cardiol Cases. 2018; 17: 212-214
- Massive thrombotic occlusion of the superior vena cava caused by a single pacemaker permanent lead successfully treated by percutaneous venoplasty.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2010; 21: 714-715
- Pacemaker induced superior vena cava syndrome: a case report.Cases J. 2009; 2: 6463
- Treatment of superior vena cava obstruction following permanent pacemaker extraction.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2002; 25: 1780-1783
- Permanent pacemaker-induced superior vena cava syndrome: successful treatment by endovascular stent.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2003; 26: 576-579
- Venous stenting as treatment for pacemaker-induced superior vena cava syndrome.Am Heart J. 1995; 129: 836-837
- Placement of SVC stents over pacemaker wires for treatment of SVC syndrome.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2000; 11: 512-519
- Stent implantation for the treatment of superior vena cava syndrome related to pacemaker leads.Europace. 2002; 4: 155-158
- Superior vena cava syndrome induced by endocardial defibrillator and pacemaker leads.Am J Cardiol. 2007; 99: 1765-1767
- Contralateral replacement of pacemaker and leads following laser sheath extraction and concomitant stenting for superior vena cava syndrome.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2005; 28: 1131-1134
- Outcome and management of pacemaker-induced superior vena cava syndrome.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2014; 37: 1470-1476
- Percutaneous pacemaker lead extraction and stent implantation for superior vena cava occlusion due to pacemaker leads.Am J Cardiol. 1996; 15: 670-672
- Percutaneous treatment of superior vena cava obstruction following transvenous device implantation.Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2005; 65: 64-69
- Percutaneous treatment of the superior vena cava syndrome via an excimer laser sheath in a patient with a single chamber atrial pacemaker.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2006; 16: 203-206
- Successful treatment by balloon venoplasty and stent insertion of obstruction of the superior vena cava by an endocardial pacemaker lead.Br Heart J. 1994; 71: 363-365
- Percutaneous treatment for pacemaker-associated superior vena cave syndrome.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2002; 25: 1628-1633
- Treatment of pacemaker-induced superior vena cava syndrome by balloon angioplasty and stenting.Neth Heart J. 2011; 19: 41-46
- Laser lead extraction to facilitate cardiac implantable electronic device upgrade and revision in the presence of central venous obstruction.Europace. 2014; 16: 81-86
- Long-term results of endovascular stent placement in the superior caval venous system.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2001; 24: 388-394
Arora Y, Carrillo RG. Lead related superior vena cava syndrome: management and outcomes [published online ahead of print September 11, 2020]. Heart Rhythm. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrthm.2020.09.006.
Funding sources: The authors have no funding sources to disclose.
Disclosures: Dr Maytin has received research grants from Medtronic and Spectranetics and is a consultant for St. Jude Medical. Dr John participates in industry-sponsored research with Biosense Webster , Medtronic, and Thermedical Inc and is a consultant for St. Jude Medical. Dr Epstein has received research grants from and is a consultant for Boston Scientific , Medtronic, Phillips, and St. Jude Medical. The rest of the authors report no conflicts of interest.