Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- 2019 Ludwig Lecture: rhythms in sympathetic nerve activity are a key to understanding neural control of the cardiovascular system.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2019; 318: R191-R205
- The very low-frequency band of heart rate variability represents the slow recovery component after a mental stress task.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0182611
- Advances in heart rate variability signal analysis: joint position statement by the e-Cardiology ESC Working Group and the European Heart Rhythm Association co-endorsed by the Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society.Europace. 2015; 17: 1341-1353
- Role of respiratory motor output in within-breath modulation of muscle sympathetic nerve activity in humans.Circ Res. 1999; 85: 457-469
- Detection of low- and high-frequency rhythms in the variability of skin sympathetic nerve activity.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000; 278: H1256-H1260
- The utility of low frequency heart rate variability as an index of sympathetic cardiac tone: a review with emphasis on a reanalysis of previous studies.Psychophysiology. 2013; 50: 477-487
- Interpretation of normalized spectral heart rate variability indices in sleep research: a critical review.Sleep. 2007; 30: 913-919
- Interpreting oscillations of muscle sympathetic nerve activity and heart rate variability.J Hypertens. 2000; 18: 1709-1719
- Sympathetic activity-associated periodic repolarization dynamics predict mortality following myocardial infarction.J Clin Invest. 2014; 124: 1770-1780
- Effects of anesthetic and sedative agents on sympathetic nerve activity.Heart Rhythm. 2019; 16: 1875-1882
- Recording sympathetic nerve activity in conscious humans and other mammals: guidelines and the road to standardization.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017; 312: H1031-H1051
- Estimating sympathetic tone by recording subcutaneous nerve activity in ambulatory dogs.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2015; 26: 70-78
- Effects of renal sympathetic denervation on the stellate ganglion and the brain stem in dogs.Heart Rhythm. 2017; 14: 255-262
- Antiarrhythmic and proarrhythmic effects of subcutaneous nerve stimulation in ambulatory dogs.Heart Rhythm. 2019; 16: 1251-1260
- Heart rate variability: a review.Med Biol Eng Comput. 2006; 44: 1031-1051
- Intrinsic cardiac nerve activity and paroxysmal atrial tachyarrhythmia in ambulatory dogs.Circulation. 2010; 121: 2615-2623
- Relationship between regional cardiac hyperinnervation and ventricular arrhythmia.Circulation. 2000; 101: 1960-1969
- Power spectral analysis of heart rate and arterial pressure variabilities as a marker of sympatho-vagal interaction in man and conscious dog.Circ Res. 1986; 59: 178-193
- Crescendo skin sympathetic nerve activity and ventricular arrhythmia.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 70: 3201-3202
- Skin sympathetic nerve activity and the temporal clustering of cardiac arrhythmias.JCI Insight. 2019; 4e125853
- HRS/EHRA/APHRS expert consensus statement on the diagnosis and management of patients with inherited primary arrhythmia syndromes.Heart Rhythm. 2013; 10: 1932-1963
- Cardiac sympathetic denervation for refractory ventricular arrhythmias.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 3070-3080
- Cutaneous distribution of sympathetic postganglionic fibers from stellate ganglion: a retrograde axonal tracing study using wheat germ agglutinin conjugated with horseradish peroxidase.J Anesth. 1994; 8: 441-449
- Simultaneous noninvasive recording of skin sympathetic nerve activity and electrocardiogram.Heart Rhythm. 2017; 14: 25-33
- Skin sympathetic nerve activity precedes the onset and termination of paroxysmal atrial tachycardia and fibrillation.Heart Rhythm. 2017; 14: 964-971
Funding sources: This study was supported in part by National Institutes of Health grants TR002208-01 , HL139829 , and OT2OD028190 ; Charles Fisch Cardiovascular Research Award endowed by Dr Suzanne B. Knoebel of the Krannert Institute of Cardiology (to Drs Liu, Yuan, and Everett); a Medtronic-Zipes Chair of Indiana University; and the Burns & Allen Chair of Cardiology Research at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
Disclosures: Indiana University was awarded US patent no. 10,448,852 for inventing neuECG recording. Drs Peng-Sheng Chen and Shien-Fong Lin are co-inventors of that patent. The other authors report no conflicts of interest.