Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart Rhythm
- Detecting initial orthostatic hypotension: a novel approach.J Am Soc Hypertens. 2015; 9: 365-369
- Initial orthostatic hypotension: review of a forgotten condition.Clin Sci. 2007; 112: 157-165
- Initial orthostatic hypotension among patients with unexplained syncope: an overlooked diagnosis?.Int J Cardiol. 2018; 271: 269-273
- Management of initial orthostatic hypotension: Lower body muscle tensing attenuates the transient arterial blood pressure decrease upon standing from squatting.Clin Sci. 2007; 113: 401-407
- Exploring the refractory period of an active stand in females with initial orthostatic.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2021; 77: 3228-3329
- Acetylcholinesterase inhibition improves tachycardia in postural tachycardia syndrome.Circulation. 2005; 111: 2734-2740
- Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap): a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inf. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Initial orthostatic hypotension in teenagers and young adults.Clin Auton Res. 2016; 26: 441-449
- Physical countermeasures to increase orthostatic tolerance.J Intern Med. 2014; 277: 69-82
- Initial orthostatic hypotension in the young is attenuated by static handgrip.J Pediatr. 2010; 156: 1019-1022.e1
- Influence of age and gender on the occurrence and presentation of reflex syncope.Clin Auton Res. 2008; 18: 127-133
Funding Sources: This work was supported by funding Dr Raj receives from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR; Ottawa, ON, Canada) Grant MOP142426 and support from the Vanderbilt Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (NIH UL1-TR000445; Bethesda, MD, USA). Disclosures: Dr Exner has served as a consultant for Abbott Medical, Medtronic Inc, and GE Healthcare; and is a minority shareholder in Analytics for Life and HelpWear. Dr Phillips holds various patents related to blood pressure measurement and neuromodulation, some of which are licensed to industry; is a shareholder of ONWARD Medical and is on the medical advisory board; and is founder and shareholder of StimSherpa. Dr Raj has served as a consultant for Lundbeck NA Ltd., Theravance Biopharma, Medscape, Academy for Continued Healthcare Learning, and Sprire Learning; as chair of the Data Safety and Monitoring Board for Arena Pharmaceuticals; and as associate editor of Autonomic Neurosciences and on the Medical Advisory Board of Dysautonomia International and PoTS UK, both without financial compensation. All other authors have reported that they have no relationships relevant to the contents of this paper to disclose. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03970551.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Symptom reduction in initial orthostatic hypotension: Time to get physical!Heart RhythmVol. 19Issue 4
- PreviewSymptoms of initial orthostatic hypotension are common in the general population and are related to a short period of cerebral hypoperfusion due to a transient fall in the systemic blood pressure.1 In 2011, the American Autonomic Society consensus statement included a spectrum of abnormal circulatory responses, differentiating initial orthostatic hypotension, delayed orthostatic hypotension, and classic orthostatic hypotension.2 Initial orthostatic hypotension was defined as an immediate and transient drop in blood pressure within 15 seconds of standing of > 40 mm Hg in systolic blood pressure and/or >20 mm Hg in diastolic blood pressure.