Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart Rhythm
- 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 64: e1-e76
- Effect of catheter ablation vs medical therapy on quality of life among patients with atrial fibrillation: the CABANA randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2019; 321: 1275-1285
- Catheter ablation versus medical rate control in atrial fibrillation and systolic dysfunction: the CAMERA-MRI study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 70: 1949-1961
- Catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation with heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 417-427
- Safety, feasibility and economic impact of same-day discharge following atrial fibrillation ablation.Heart Lung Circ. 2020; 29: 1766-1772
- Catheter ablation for the treatment of atrial fibrillation is associated with a reduction in health care resource utilization.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2017; 28: 733-741
- In-hospital complications associated with catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation in the United States between 2000 and 2010: analysis of 93 801 procedures.Circulation. 2013; 128: 2104-2112
- Outcomes of Medicare beneficiaries undergoing catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation.Circulation. 2012; 126: 2200-2207
- Prevalence and causes of fatal outcome in catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 53: 1798-1803
- Life-threatening complications of atrial fibrillation ablation: 16-year experience in a large prospective tertiary care cohort.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2019; 5: 284-291
- Risk of mortality following catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 74: 2254-2264
- Efficacy and safety of same-day discharge for atrial fibrillation ablation.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2020; 6: 609-619
- Predictors of cardiac perforation with catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2020; 6: 636-645
- Use of intracardiac echocardiography in interventional cardiology: working with the anatomy rather than fighting it.Circulation. 2018; 137: 2278-2294
- Use of intracardiac echocardiography to guide ablation of atrial fibrillation.Circulation. 2001; 104: 3010-3013
- Does the use of intracardiac echocardiography during atrial fibrillation catheter ablation improve outcomes and cost? A nationwide 14-year analysis from 2001 to 2014.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2021; 61: 461-468
- Prevention and early recognition of complications during catheter ablation by intracardiac echocardiography.Card Electrophysiol Clin. 2021; 13: 357-364
- Procedural complications, rehospitalizations, and repeat procedures after catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 59: 143-149
- Updated worldwide survey on the methods, efficacy, and safety of catheter ablation for human atrial fibrillation.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2010; 3: 32-38
- Catheter ablation for cardiac arrhythmias: utilization and in-hospital complications, 2000 to 2013.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2017; 3: 1240-1248
- Low rates of major complications for radiofrequency ablation of atrial fibrillation maintained over 14 years: a single centre experience of 2750 consecutive cases.Heart Lung Circ. 2018; 27: 976-983
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding Sources: Funding for this analysis was provided by Medtronic. Disclosures: Dr Piccini is supported by R01HL128595 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and R01AG074185 from the National Institutes of Aging; receives grants for clinical research from Abbott, American Heart Association, Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation, Bayer, Boston Scientific, iRhythm, and Philips; and serves as a consultant to Abbott, Abbvie, Ablacon, Altathera, ARCA Biopharma, Biotronik, Boston Scientific, Bristol Myers Squibb, LivaNova, Medtronic, Milestone, ElectroPhysiology Frontiers, Pfizer, Sanofi, Philips, and Up-to-Date. Alicia Sale and Colleen Longacre are employed by Medtronic. Jiani Zhou is an employee of Medtronic and is a PhD candidate of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. Dr Zeitler receives a research grant from Boston Scientific; serves as a consultant and speaker for Medtronic Inc., Boston Scientific, Biosense Webster, Arena (Pfizer), and EchoIQ; receives travel support from Medtronic Inc.; and receives research support from Biosense Webster and Sanofi. Dr Andrade receives consulting fees and honoraria from Bayer, Bristol Myers Squibb–Pfizer Alliance, Servier, and Medtronic; and receives research grants from Medtronic and Baylis. Dr Mittal serves as a consultant for Boston Scientific, Medtronic, and Philips. Dr Obeid reports no relevant disclosures.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Mortality of ablation of atrial fibrillation: 25 Years later, still too risky for too manyHeart Rhythm
- PreviewOn this year’s 25th anniversary of the landmark report1 on ablation of pulmonary vein ectopy initiating atrial fibrillation (AF), which preceded by 1 year ablation of AF using nonfluoroscopic 3-dimensional mapping,2 we are reminded how both approaches would forever transform cardiac electrophysiology as a predominant diagnostic discipline, also performing device implantation and ablation of supraventricular tachycardia to become a therapeutic catheter ablation interventional specialty. Clinical cardiac electrophysiologists were somewhat unprepared or caught off guard a few years later when atrioesophageal fistulas, associated with significant morbidity and mortality, were first reported as a complication of ablation of AF.