As the number of cardiomyopathy patients rises, there is an increasing number of patients being treated with left ventricular assist devices (LVADs). While these therapies prolong the lifespans of patients with end-stage cardiomyopathy, these patients may be at increased risk of developing ventricular tachycardia (VT).
- Galand V
- Flécher E
- Auffret V
- et al.
Predictors and Clinical Impact of Late Ventricular Arrhythmias in Patients With Continuous-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Devices.
JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2018; 4: 1166-1175
2Antiarrhythmic drugs (AADs) can be effective in suppressing VT in LVAD patients, but long-term use of these agents, especially amiodarone, can result in side effects and may be associated with increased mortality.
- Ziv O
- Dizon J
- Thosani A
- Naka Y
- Magnano AR
- Garan H
Effects of left ventricular assist device therapy on ventricular arrhythmias.
J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 45: 1428-1434
- Gopinathannair R
- Pothineni NVK
- Trivedi JR
- et al.
Amiodarone Use and All-Cause Mortality in Patients With a Continuous-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Device.
J Am Heart Assoc. 2022; 11e023762
- Larson J
- Gondi K
- Chou A
- et al.
Association between amiodarone and ventricular tachycardia after left ventricular assist device implant: a single-center experience.
J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2022;
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart Rhythm
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Predictors and Clinical Impact of Late Ventricular Arrhythmias in Patients With Continuous-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Devices.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2018; 4: 1166-1175
- Effects of left ventricular assist device therapy on ventricular arrhythmias.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 45: 1428-1434
- Amiodarone Use and All-Cause Mortality in Patients With a Continuous-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Device.J Am Heart Assoc. 2022; 11e023762
- Association between amiodarone and ventricular tachycardia after left ventricular assist device implant: a single-center experience.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2022;
- Increased Rate of Pump Thrombosis and Cardioembolic Events Following Ventricular Tachycardia Ablation in Patients Supported With Left Ventricular Assist Devices.ASAIO J. 2020; 66: 1127-1136
- HeartMarte 3: new challenges in ventricular tachycardia ablation.Europace. 2022; 24: 598-605
- Complications of catheter ablation of ventricular tachycardia: a single-center experience.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2014; 7: 684-690
- Epicardial mapping and ablation of ventricular tachycardia from the coronary venous system in post-coronary bypass patients.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2022;
- Substrate Ablation by Multivein, Multiballoon Coronary Venous Ethanol for Refractory Ventricular Tachycardia in Structural Heart Disease.Circulation. 2022; 146: 1644-1656
- Early Ventricular Arrhythmias After LVAD Implantation Is the Strongest Predictor of 30-Day Post-Operative Mortality.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2019; 5: 944-954
Accepted: March 3, 2023
Received in revised form: February 27, 2023
Received: January 21, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Twitter Handles: @Jackson_J_Liang; @KrishKancharla; @Dr_Santangeli
Disclosures: The authors report no relevant conflicts of interest
© 2023 Heart Rhythm Society. All rights reserved.