ABBREVIATIONS:ABL (Ablation catheter), APAccessory Atrioventricular Pathway (Atrioventricular node), AVRT (Atrioventricular Reentrant Tachycardia), b.w. (Body weight), CHD (Congenital Heart Defect), CA (Coronary Artery), CS (Coronary Sinus), CVS (Coronary Venous System), CS-AP (Coronary Sinus Accessory Pathways), Cryo (Cryoenergy application), EP (Electrophysiological), EPS (Electrophysiological Study), EUROPA (European Multicenter Pediatric Ablation Registry), FU (Follow up), F (French), GVA (Great Cardiac Vein), LAO (Left Anterior Oblique), LCX (Left Circumflex Branch), LCA (Left Coronary Artery), MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging), MCV (Middle Cardiac Vein), min (Minute), MV (Mitral Valve), n.a. (Not available), PJRT (Permanent Junctional Reciprocating Tachycardia), RF (Radiofrequency), RAO (Right Anterior Oblique), RCA (Right Coronary Artery), RVOT (Right Ventricular Outflow Tract), SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia), TV (Tricuspid Valve)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart Rhythm
- Pediatric catheter ablation at the beginning of the 21st century: results from the European Multicenter Pediatric Catheter Ablation Registry 'EUROPA.Europace Mar 8. 2021; 23: 431-440
- Different Approaches for Catheter Ablation of Para-Hisian Accessory Pathways: Implications for Mapping and Ablation.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol Jun. 2017; 10e004882
- Coronary sinus-ventricular accessory connections producing posteroseptal and left posterior accessory pathways: incidence and electrophysiological identification.Circulation. Sep 10 2002; 106: 1362-1367
- Risk of coronary artery injury with radiofrequency ablation and cryoablation of epicardial posteroseptal accessory pathways within the coronary venous system.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol Feb. 2014; 7: 113-119
Al-Ammouri I, Perry JC. Proximity of coronary arteries to the atrioventricular valve annulus in young patients and implications for ablation procedures. Am J Cardiol Jun 15 2006;97:1752-1755.
- Cryoablation of accessory pathways in the coronary sinus in young patients: a multicenter study from the Pediatric and Congenital Electrophysiology Society's Working Group on Cryoablation.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol Jun. 2007; 18: 592-597
- Comparison of cryothermia and radiofrequency current in safety and efficacy of catheter ablation within the canine coronary sinus close to the left circumflex coronary artery.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol Nov. 2005; 16: 1218-1226
- Safety and feasibility of cryothermal ablation within the mid- and distal coronary sinus.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol Nov. 2004; 15: 1319-1323
- Catheter ablation of pediatric AV nodal reentrant tachycardia: results in small children.Clin Res Cardiol Nov. 2015; 104: 990-997
- Percutaneous Catheter Ablation of Epicardial Accessory Pathways.Arrhythm Electrophysiol Rev Jun. 2017; 6: 80-84
- Anatomy of the Atrioventricular Junction, Atrioventricular Grooves, and Accessory Pathways.Card Electrophysiol Clin Dec. 2020; 12: 437-445
- Computed tomography of a coronary sinus diverticulum associated with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.Heart Rhythm Aug. 2012; 9: 1338-1339
- Accessory atrioventricular pathways refractory to catheter ablation: role of percutaneous epicardial approach.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol Feb. 2015; 8: 128-136
- 3D transvenous radiofrequency ablation of manifest epicardial posterior-septal accessory pathways in children: Can technology innovations improve the outcome?.Cardiol Young Aug. 2022; 32: 1229-1234
- Incidence of coronary artery injury immediately after catheter ablation for supraventricular tachycardias in infants and children.Heart Rhythm Apr. 2009; 6: 461-467
- First experience with zero-fluoroscopic ablation for supraventricular tachycardias using a novel impedance and magnetic-field-based mapping system.Clin Res Cardiol Jul. 2018; 107: 578-585
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflict of interest: The authors have no potential conflict of interest or financial support related to the subject of this manuscript.
Ethics approval: This study was reviewed and approved by the ethical committee of the University of Goettingen under file no. 9/7/20 (date: July 13, 2020) and complies with the Declaration of Helsinki.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Ablation Within the Coronary Venous System in Young Patients: A Focus on SafetyHeart Rhythm
- PreviewDespite decades of experience, catheter ablation of an accessory atrioventricular pathway (AP) in the posteroseptal region can still be challenging owing to complex anatomy and the proximity to coronary arteries. This is especially true for APs involving the musculature around the proximal coronary sinus (CS), the middle cardiac vein, or a diverticulum off the CS . The coronary venous system (CVS) can be navigated with high precision guided by a contrast injection in the CS, and the mapping data tend to be relatively unambiguous within these structures, usually displaying a clear AP potential.