Clinical Guidelines & Documents
- In view of the increasing complexity of both cardiovascular implantable electronic devices (CIEDs) and patients in the current era, practice guidelines, by necessity, have become increasingly specific. This document is an expert consensus statement that has been developed to update and further delineate indications and management of CIEDs in pediatric patients, defined as ≤21 years of age, and is intended to focus primarily on the indications for CIEDs in the setting of specific disease categories.
- Document Reviewers: Philip M. Chang, MD, FHRS, FACC; Fabrizio Drago, MD, FAIAC; Anne M. Dubin, MD, FHRS; Susan P. Etheridge, MD, FHRS; Apichai Kongpatanayothin, MD, FAsCC; Jose Manuel Moltedo, MD, FACC; Ashish A. Nabar, MD, DNB, PhD, FISE; George F. Van Hare, MD, FHRS, FACC, FAAP
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has presented substantial challenges to patient care and impacted health care delivery, including cardiac electrophysiology practice throughout the globe. Based upon the undetermined course and regional variability of the pandemic, there is uncertainty as to how and when to resume and deliver electrophysiology services for arrhythmia patients. This joint document from representatives of the Heart Rhythm Society, American Heart Association, and American College of Cardiology seeks to provide guidance for clinicians and institutions reestablishing safe electrophysiological care.
- Ventricular arrhythmias are an important cause of morbidity and mortality and come in a variety of forms, from single premature ventricular complexes to sustained ventricular tachycardia and fibrillation. Rapid developments have taken place over the past decade in our understanding of these arrhythmias and in our ability to diagnose and treat them. The field of catheter ablation has progressed with the development of new methods and tools, and with the publication of large clinical trials. Therefore, global cardiac electrophysiology professional societies undertook to outline recommendations and best practices for these procedures in a document that will update and replace the 2009 EHRA/HRS Expert Consensus on Catheter Ablation of Ventricular Arrhythmias.
- Document Reviewers: Adrian M. Baranchuk, MD, FACC, FRCPC, FCCS; Carina Blomström-Lundqvist, MD, PhD; Frank A. Fish, MD; James M. Horton, MD; Roberto Keegan, MD; Miguel A. Leal, MD, FACC, FHRS; Nigel Lever, MBChB, FRACP; Aman Mahajan, MD, PhD, MBA; Marc R. Moon, MD; Siva K. Mulpuru, BS, MB, MBBS, MD, FHRS, CCDS
- Section I: Introduction and Methodology ...............e95